Gone are the days when you had to wear clunky metal braces just to get a perfect set of straight teeth. With clear aligners like Invisalign, patients can enhance their smile and address teeth misalignment issues without the visual intrusiveness and social awkwardness of wearing braces.
Invisalign is a clear aligner therapy where your dentist takes impressions of your teeth and creates a set of custom trays. Wearing the trays gradually moves your teeth to their correct alignment until they’re straight. However, not everyone may be suitable for the treatment. Below, we’ll highlight the main aspects that make you a good candidate for Invisalign therapy.
What Is Invisalign?
Invisalign is an orthodontic treatment for mild to moderately misaligned teeth. The treatment involves wearing a set of clear aligners that exert pressure on the teeth, gradually moving them into straight positions. The treatment only takes three to eighteen months and delivers stellar and permanent results.
How Is Invisalign Different From Other Orthodontic Treatments?
Unlike other orthodontic treatments (specifically braces), Invisalign doesn’t involve using wires or brackets on the teeth. Traditional metal braces, for instance, involve attaching brackets to the teeth and winding them with archwires. Braces are also non-removable, unlike Invisalign trays.
What Makes a Good Candidate for Invisalign Treatment?
The dentist will examine your teeth and take X-rays of your mouth to determine your candidacy for Invisalign aligners. Ideal candidates for the treatment have the following traits:
- Slightly or Moderately Misaligned Teeth: Invisalign treatment is only effective for slightly and moderately misaligned teeth. The aligners may not be strong enough to rectify severe malocclusions and teeth misalignment. Patients with severely misaligned teeth might have to settle for traditional braces or corrective jaw surgery. Your dentist will give recommendations on the best treatment for your case.
- Self-Discipline and Conscientious: Invisalign treatment requires wearing the trays for at least 22 hours daily. You also need to remove and clean the trays when eating. This requires considerable discipline, and undisciplined people will likely jeopardize the treatment. You might want to sit this one out if you can’t commit yourself to wearing the aligners as required, i,e keeping up with follow-up appointments, and always keeping the aligners clean.
- Proper Dental Health: You must be in reasonably good dental health to qualify for Invisalign therapy. The treatment is unsuitable for people with dental decay and gum disease. If so, you’ll have to receive treatment for these complications before starting your Invisalign journey.
What to Expect With Invisalign Treatment
The Invisalign treatment consists of multiple dental sessions spread over three to eighteen months, depending on the severity of your teeth misalignment. The treatment involves the following steps:
- Initial Consultation and Treatment Plan: The Invisalign treatment begins with a consultation with one of our licensed dentists. The dentist will review your medical history, then examine your teeth and take X-rays to determine your suitability for the treatment. If you’re a good candidate, they’ll create a custom treatment plan for your clear aligners.
- Taking Impressions and Creating Your Aligners: For the next step, the dentist will use a 3D digital scanner to take accurate impressions of your teeth and mouth cavity. They'll then forward these scans to a laboratory where skilled technicians will work on creating your custom set of Invisalign trays and send them to the dentist once done.
- Receiving and Wearing Your Aligners: Once ready, your Annapolis dentist will ask you to pick the aligners and try them on. They’ll also instruct you on how to wear and clean them. All that’s left is to wear the Invisalign trays as instructed and change them every two weeks until treatment concludes.
Start Your Invisalign Treatment Today!
You absolutely have no excuse to walk around with misaligned teeth when you could begin your Invisalign treatment today. These highly effective clear aligners are just what the dentist ordered for your overbite, underbite, and other forms of malocclusion. So, what are you waiting for? Start your Invisalign journey today!
Contact Chesapeake Cosmetic & Family Dentistry today, and we’ll put you on our Gold+ Certified Invisalign program. Being a Gold+ Certified Invisalign provider means your teeth are in the right hands.